8.4.11

Oxglam for Oxfam marathon party

Last night saw the faces of London fashion and entertainment step out in the name of charity for the Oxglam for Oxfam fundraising event.

Held at acclaimed fashion photographer Rankin’s studio, the Oxglam team – which includes model and wife of Rankin Tuuli Shipster, actress Emma Pierson, model David Gandy, model Agyness Deyn, designer Henry Holland, and rock band Editors were there to dance the night away to music from the Magic Numbers and The Djinns.

Henry Holland says run like 'elle

Also in attendance was model and vice chair of the British Fashion Council Erin O’Conner, designer Hannah Marshall, comedian James Corden – who hosted the charity raffle, and a host of actresses past and present whose names escape me now. A short film about the team’s trip to Tanzania where they visited Oxfam projects was shown, and I felt very proud to see my friend Emma representing such a worthy cause.

African drummers greeted guests on arrival and a fully stocked Grey Goose bar wet the whistles of many a guest (though I can report that I didn’t see a single marathoner who wasn’t on the mineral water – including me, much to my own dismay). Henry Holland told run like ‘elle about the team’s trip to Africa and his newly found sporting ability, and we both agreed that this excessively healthy lifestyle was out of character for both of us.

Emma Pierson says run like 'elle

Works by revered photographers were displayed on the studio’s high walls, all to be entered in to a sealed bid auction to be held next week. Caught up in the moment, my friend Daisy and I decided to make a joint bid on a photograph, and after 40 minutes of bickering over which photograph to choose we eventually agreed on one, only to discover it had a reserve price of £1000. (I was particularly keen on Sølve Sundsbø parrot picture - similar to the one below, which I saw on the pages of Another?? magazine a few years ago).
Admitting defeat on the auction, we turned our attention to the raffle - which was more within our budget. James Corden played a great tombola roller, and prizes were given out left, right and centre. I was hoping for the Harrod’s beauty hamper or the Fleet Ilya bag, neither of which I won. But it was a fun evening, and a great way to get in to the marathon swing of things.

Hannah Marshall says run like 'elle
My gaggle of girls. From left to right - Daisy, Emma, me, Lucy, baby bump boy (name TBC)
To find out more about the Oxglam squad and where their fundraising money goes, visit www.oxfam.org.uk/Running/JoinOurTeam/Oxglam and stay tuned for my Marathon Q&A with actress Emma Pierson.