11.3.11

Top marathon tips from hair stylist Lesley McIntyre

Inspired by Tuesday's International Women's Day, I decided it was time to sing the praises of us gals, so this week's marathon Q&A is with renowned hair stylist Lesley McIntyre. 


I was so excited when I discovered Lesley had run the marathon as she is proof of the point I'm trying to make - that you can be interested in fashion and beauty, and simultaneously be active and participate in sports.  Equally though, it was a relief to hear about the whole experience from someone similar to me. Lesley was very pragmatic about her experience, telling me she just "ran and ran, and kept running some more"! Her honesty was a great source of comfort to me, as the whole world of marathon running - with all its contradictory information, can be a little overwhelming, to say the least. 
Lesley (left) tending to a model's locks backstage at the Vivienne Westwood aw11 show

Lesley has been a hair stylist for over 20 years, and has worked on fashion shoots and shows the world over. She is now the co-owner of the Ledbury McIntyre hair salon in Bloomsbury, London, which is where we caught up (over a coffee and bleach foil) to discuss all things running related...

Name: Lesley McIntyre
Age: 40
Home: London
Career: Hair Dresser and Owner of Ledburymcintyre Hair Salon

How did you get into running? I Decided I wanted to get fit.

What made you decide to run the London Marathon 2010? I think it’s a great achievement, and good to have goals in life.

What was your marathon time? 4hr 17mins

Which charity did you run for? Ninewells hospital Dundee

Can you tell us a bit about your marathon experience? It was definitely a great experience, the crowd, the runners, and the energy kept me going. The marathon was emotional as everyone was running for something or someone that meant a great deal to them. I kept a steady pace, and wouldn’t change a thing. 

Who is your marathon inspiration? My dad and brother had done marathons and encouraged me to take the challenge.

What was your trick to integrating your training into your already busy schedule?  I didn’t have a strict regime, just ran - usually in the mornings before work, and a big run on Sundays, sometimes with a friend. I also did the great north run in Newcastle before attempting to do the marathon.

What is your marathon mantra? You can do anything you want in this life.

What is your pre race ritual? I never had one.

Can you name your top three tracks on your marathon playlist? I didn’t actually listen to music; the energy from the crowd spurred me on. 

What is your marathon top training tip? My tip would be to have a personal trainer, and after the marathon have a sports massage straight away.

For more information on Ledbury McIntyre please visit www.ledburymcintyre.com

Thanks Lesley. I'm totally blown away by your marathon time, not sure I can even try to compete. x