15.3.11

Running in Amsterdam

I'm in Amsterdam this week for work, and it's lovely to back in a city I'm so fond of. Particularly because it's full of space for running! 

I was super tired yesterday and missed training, so this evening I did my Monday night training session. This was my supposed fast run, but for some reason I found it really difficult, my feet were like lead weights and my calf muscles tight.
I wore a Triumph sports bra, Sweaty Betty crop top, Nike vest top, Sweaty Betty showerproof jacket, Sugoi running tights, Wright Sock running socks and Asics trainers. 
I ran through town and into the beautiful Vondel Park. It's really picturesque, and though my photos don't really do it justice, I hope they'll give you an idea of how lovely a space it is. It was nice to run somewhere new too, a welcome break from the busy streets of North London. That said, there were so many people jogging, cycling, roller blading, dog walking that it felt like quite a social occasion!

The Dylan Hotel

I'm staying at The Dylan Hotel, a boutique hotel with just 40 rooms and suites, and is located within a 17th century gated house in the centre of the Nine Streets (De Negen Straatjes) area - surrounded by boutiques, restaurants and galleries.

Creative agency FG Stijl directed the recent redesign, and rooms are cosy and luxurious (mine is a giant mezzanine apartment high in the alcoves of the old house).

The hotel also boasts a Michelin-starred restaurant called Vinkeles and a small in-house gym, which contains a running machine, a step machine, a weights machine and a selection of dumbbells and kettlebells. For those looking to swim - or for a more complex work out, guests are granted access to a local private gym - for a nominal fee. Or, make use of the free hotel bikes, and combine your work-out with some sightseeing!

For more information contact:
The Dylan
Keizersgracht 384
Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel: +31(0)20 530 2010
www.dylanamsterdam.com

The Lloyd Hotel

For my first two nights in Amsterdam I stayed in the Lloyd Hotel and Cultural Embassy, a handsome building in the Eastern Docklands - a short tram or bus ride from the city centre.

Built in 1921 - the building has since served as a prison, emergency housing, artists studios and finally a hotel.

There are 117 hotel rooms ranging from one to five stars (mine is a three star, and overlooks the docks and murky waters - it's actually a great view)

Each room boasts its own personality and style, with interiors by predominantly Dutch designers and artists. The restaurant and bar are equally stylish, but its main point of difference is its in-house museum and extensive exhibition and events space. The delicious restaurant is open to the public and there are lots of creative types from the neighboring studios.

The surrounding area is really cool with industrial architecture and amazing looking loft apartments and creative agencies dotted around - the perfect place for a little run and a lot of home envy.

For more information contact:
Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Ambassy
Oostelijke Handelskade 34
1019 BN
Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)20 561 3636
www.lloydhotel.com

Lastly, my favourite thing about Amsterdam - Dutch apple pie. The best is from Winkel in Noordemarkt.  In the name of good journalism, I  went to great lengths to try and test, and this is undoubtably the best about. Enjoy! :-p

Winkel 
Noordemarkt 43
1015 NA Amsterdam
Tel: +31 206 230 223