13.5.12

Garance is doing it



Running that is.

The founder of one of the fashion world's biggest blogs,  Garance Dore recently posted a piece on her blog about sport, and running was cited as her number 1 sport! A lady of exquisite taste!

run like 'elle. x

Garance!
Between being a student and my job, I don’t have any time whatsoever to work out. My calendar is so filled up that I can’t even squeeze one class in.
That, and Paris is the worst. The only gym that is anywhere near me is 12 metro stops away. And I’m not exaggerating.
How do you stay fit with such a crazy schedule?
xo Sophie.
Hello Sophie!
I never thought I’d be the one giving this kind of advice, given that happy hour is my favorite sport, but since I’m now hooked AND have a bipolar schedule, I’ve needed to find some solutions.
My first big thing is running.
It’s a workout that you can do anywhere, doesn’t cost a thing, and is good for you even if you only do 20 minutes. I should say, I can’t even do more than 30. I’m not there yet. If I try, I end up wanting to die.
I try to always have some running shoes in my suitcase. And even more important than the shoes, is a sports bra! TWO EVEN, because I’m all paranoid about bouncing breasts when I run. They shouldn’t move at all! Whenever I see a girl running with her chest bouncing every which way, I always want to stop her and give her a sports bra!
(Ok, I’ll stop. I’ll do a whole post bout that later)(that one will be no-men-allowed)
My second thing is yoga.
I’m totally incapable of doing yoga without being guided through. I last like, three minutes.
That said, sometimes I don’t have time to go to class so I subscribe to a site called My Yoga Online. There are tons of different types of yoga and you can chose how long and what level you want to do that day. There are even 5 minutes classes if you really have NO time at all!
The only problem: It’s a streaming thing and if you don’t have a good connection (like in Italian hotels, for example) it cuts off and and is all moody and that is the opposite effect yoga that is going for. It’ll make you want to smash your computer, and that’s not OM at all.
(Tim, my translator, who is also a yoga teacher, says his favorite site is YogaVibes)
And my third is a little just… whatever.
Whenever I get the urge to do some ab-work, I got on YouTube and I type in crunches.
I’ve found so much free stuff, most notably, Fitness Blender and you can chose between tons of videos, and really, it can be to the minute of how much time you have. Even if I feel like I’m in the gym with Robocop because the guy’s voice is so monotone, whatever, it works.
If I’m too lazy to do ANYTHING at all, but still want to move, I put on some music and dance around my apartment. ALONE. Or maybe next to Scott if we’re at a hotel. It cracks him up. My favorite album for that? The Cookbook by Missy Elliot. It’s a little oldies, but oh man, so many goodies.
And there you go Sophie. I hope that answers your question!
What do you all do? Do you have any ideas on how to get moving when you don’t have the time?