1.8.11

Nike Make Yourself launch event

In celebration of the launch of the new Nike Make Yourself campaign, I was asked to contribute by styling my favourite pieces from the autumn/winter 2011 collection at a press event at Nike Town London.

Make Yourself is all about attaining your personal goals - whatever they may be, and the campaign, shot by world acclaimed fashion photographer Annie Leibovitz, shows different Nike sponsored athletes in full motion shots - each one displaying the woman's unique physique.

The images are incredible and I was already in awe of them before I'd been asked to participate, so it was a doubly big honour.

How can this not inspire you?!
Allyson Felix - sprinter, USA
Lee Na - tennis player, China
Perri Shakes Drayton - hurdler, UK
Laura Enever - surfer, Australia
Hope Solo - footballer, USA
What I wanted to portray - and hope that I managed to, was that: 
a) Sports should be fun. If you're not enjoying it, then why are you doing it? 
b) Clothes aren't everything, but they are an expression of your personality - so why not express that when you're doing sport too 
c) If you feel confident and comfortable in what you're wearing then it permeates to what you're doing
d) Vibrant colours promote dynamism. N.B. I have no proof to back this up, but I do believe it

I was given a sneak preview of the collection and gradually picked and sifted my way through it and wittled it down to a few key all-round exercise outfits. 

I wanted to incorporate different styles for different body shapes, whilst also using my own personal preferences when it comes to sportswear. 

I was really happy with the result, and technicolour is an understatement of the final result!

But before it was my turn to take the stage and present, there was a store revamp - as rails were removed and replaced with a cocktail bar. Members of the press were invited to peruse the wares, and there was giggling and gossiping a-plenty. 

The store looked great too
Nike Victory bra wall - all important


Nike Free trainers - I'm a big fan
Nike Legend pant wall - there's a style for everyone
Girls gossiping behind a poster of Hope Solo in mid flight 
The lovely Natalie at Nike advises ladies on best bras
Press try and buy before the presentation
Presenter Jane Lusk interviews Nike athlete and campaign model Perri Shakes Drayton about working with Annie Liebovitz and her training for the forthcoming Olympics
And then we begin...
Jayne Lusk was talking about the technical attributes of each garment, while I was discussing the stylistic  ones.

I love this outfit, it reminds me of carnival
The girls wear the hotpants well

Strike a pose
Perri stands in front of a giant poster of herself in the campaign
I give it a pose too
It was so fun to be involved with such a great event, and thank you to everyone who came to speak to me afterwards - I particularly enjoyed the little personal shopping session, which I took it upon myself to host!