3.8.11

Running in Marseille

I'm in Marseille in the South of France with work this week, and as part of my vow to run in every country I visit, I made sure I packed my running gear. 

I've been a little preoccupied recently, and ashamedly running has been put on the back burner. That said, I've been really looking forward to getting back to it whilst I'm here, and I think you'll appreciate why when you see the pictures below. 

I'm staying in the Vieux Port of Marseille, which is really close to the beaches too. My route took me along the coastline, and while I only did about 8k, it was totally mesmerising. 
In the distance you can see les Isles Calanques - a group of small, semi deserted islands, one of which - the Isle d'If, was made famous by the author Alexandre Dumas, in his novel The Count of Monte Cristo. You can take a ferry the short distance from Marseille and visit the islands.  
I watched the bobbing boats and couldn't help wishing I was diving off one of them.
Part of what I love about this part of Provence is that it's not too gentrified. The architecture reflects the city's past, and while many may loathe this ostentatious style - I love it!
A statue which I didn't stop to read about
Eric Cantona at the bus stop



On my run I wore trusted Nike Dri Fit vest, shoddy old Topshop leggings (I had packed a new pair of swanky new running shorts to debut en France, but the wrong size was displayed on the hanger - so I had to resort to wearing these) Wright Sock socks and my well loved and better worn Nike iD run like 'elle Lunar Glide 2 trainers.  
I'm staying at the Sofitel hotel in Marseille and before I left they gave me a cute trainer shaped map showing local running routes, and on my return I was given a sweet little pouch containing a towel, bottle of mineral water and a cereal bar. It's only a little thing, but they make the difference right?!

Sofitel Marseille
36 Boulevard Charles Livon
13007 Marseille
France
Tel: +33 4 91 15 59 56
www.sofitel.com
Thanks Provence. Tu me manques. x (I lived in Provence for a very idle year)