22.4.12

Running in Brazil

I never knew it before, but Brazilians love to run!

It’s so hot in Fortaleza during the day, that as soon as the sun starts setting, the people come out to walk, run or play football on the beach front.

With my personal pact of running in every country I visit, I donned some very short shorts and a crop top and headed out. When in Brazil and all that... (Lucky for you – no pics!)

Sunset appears to be the time to see and be seen, with men and women of all ages and body types proudly parading the promenade in Lycra. (The general rule of thumb in Brazil seems to be ‘the tighter the better’)

As I was working in the evenings covering Dragao Fashion Week, I ran on Saturday morning instead. It was a race against the sun, as the heat rises so rapidly.

An aerial view of where I ran
I started off running along the beach front promenade. This is it looking weirdly quiet - it's not
This is a little of what I saw... I loved this brightly coloured building 
And the tropical flowers
Then I cut on to the beach!
I would really recommend running barefoot on the beach when you can. Sand running's tough, but it's definitely strengthening. 
Eyes up!
Quenching your thirst with fresh coconut water is the best! It's credited for...
  • Coconut juice is packed with simple sugar, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish hydration levels in the body Research studies suggest that cytokinins (e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water showed significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects 
  • Coconut water has been generally offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropic regions to replace fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract and reduce the need for intravenous therapy 
  • Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes which aid in digestion and metabolism 
  • Despite very light consistency, its water has much better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of fruits like oranges 
  • Its water is also a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates 
  • Coconut water contains a very good amount of electrolyte potassium - excellent for rehydration
  •  In addition, fresh coconut water has small amounts of vitamin-C (ascorbic acid); provides about 2.4 mcg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin C is a water-soluble ant-oxidant
Adapted from www.nutrition-and-you.com
I sweated slurped and smiled all the way to the pool...
One gratuitous body shot. I’m not overly proud of it, but at least it’s all mine ☺


Obrigada Brasil. run like ‘elle. x