12.7.11

Team Bangs On The Run


Running’s great, but hours of training can get a little lonely. Occasionally I used to cajole friends in to joining me for a training run, and I was accompanied by friends on foot, on bicycles, in cars and even in a baby in a buggy. But I seem to have exhausted all those options now, and was back to running solo – until I joined a running team...
Meet Team Bangs on the Run 2, a group of inspiring women who have been handpicked by Bangs And A Bun, a fellow former sportsphobe turned running enthusiast, to run the Run to the Beat Half Marathon in London on September 25th.
Since her initial foray in to sports, Bangs has run a half marathon and has more races in the pipeline, and somehow she has found the time – and inclination to organise, encourage and support us gals to train hard and enter into what can only be described as some sort of sorority. 
Bangs And A Bun
I wouldn’t say I’m a particularly girly type of girl, but being a part of this team has catapulted me in to a world of friendship – albeit friendship conducted largely over email and Twitter.
The team is made up of writers, office workers and everyone in between, and each woman’s reason for running is very personal. I hope this doesn’t sound crass, but it’s pretty humbling to read and talk about some of those reasons, and it’s given me a fresh perspective on how running changes – and ultimately empowers people. There’s got to be something in that dynamic action of thrusting your arms back on forth, covering ground faster than you would normally and being ok with looking like absolute sin that hooks people.
 Team Bangs on the Run 2  
The team is spread out around the country, so our chances to train together are minimal, though the other day Queen Bangs and I went for a long run together. From here on in I’ll be keeping you updated with our training and progress.
In the meantime, if you’d like to donate towards our fundraising for Refuge, then please do so here.
Looking forward to reorting on the latest.

run like 'elle.